Treasure and Royal Apartments


The Museum of the Treasures, a shrine of precious historical memory, displays within its four halls the gold pieces, the jewels, the liturgical vestments and the documents that have enriched the history of the Sanctuary over the centuries.

The first two halls display some of the most precious historical-artistic testimonies of the Sanctuary, together with archaeological finds, discovered at Oropa, dating back to the second century B.C. The collections on display include the altar-piece by Bernardino Lanino (1522) picturing the Madonna on the throne with the Baby and four saints, a votive donation from the Municipality of Biella; the portraits of the two believers, native of Oropa, whose miraculous healing was recognized for the first time through a canonical trial, dating back to the second half of the 18th century; some of the most ancient votive paintings and documents from the historical archive, amongst which are the “regi stabilimenti”, the designs and projects of the architects active at Oropa, Arduzzi, Gallo, Juvarra and Galletti.


In the third hall we find some of the most precious garments of the liturgical wardrobe of the Sanctuary, including the ‘pianeta’ in azure velvet which, according to the legend, was made from the cape of the Blessed Amedeo, 9th Duke of Savoy (1435 -1472). Others garments, donated by the Sabaudian sovereigns and other noble families, were made of brocade and damask in the period between the 17th century and the 19th century.

In the fourth hall, together with crowns, chalices, ostensories and votive hearts are the jewels that adorned the statue of the Madonna for the coronations that have been held at Oropa since 1620 every hundred years: the two-tier tiara, the aureole of stars, the bodice, the ‘love knot’ and the pendant realized in gold, diamonds and precious stones.



The ties between the Sanctuary and the Royal House of Savoy are ancient. There is evidence that apartments suitable to members of the royal House were offered to the Savoy family at Oropa since the 17th century. The existent apartments, accessible through the museum, date back to the first half of the 18th century. This is confirmed by the portraits of the King of Sardinia, Carlo Emanuele III and Vittorio Amedeo III, the first Sabaudian sovereigns to lodge in the apartments during their visits to Oropa. The last sovereigns to visit the Sanctuary were King Umberto I in 1880, Queen Margherita between 1906 and 1923, the future King Umberto II in 1926 and Queen Maria Josè in 1989. In the anti-room, the salon and the two bedrooms, furnished in the coeval style, are hung the portraits of all the Kings of Sardinia and later of Italy. Amongst them a large painting dating back to the middle of the 19th century portraits the Madonna of Oropa in her apparel of ancient jewelry.



  • From 30 March to 30 June and from 1 September to 27 October: Open Saturdays and Sundays from 9.30 a.m. to 12.30 p.m. and from 2.30 p.m. to 5.30 p.m.


    25-26-27-28 April / 1 May from 9.30 a.m. to 12.30 p.m. and 2.30 p.m. to 5.30 p.m.

    July and August: open daily except Mondays from 9.30 a.m. to 12.30 p.m. and 2.30 p.m. to 5.30 p.m.

  • On reservation, special openings for groups accompanied by a guide


  • Full ticket: Euro 4,00
  • Reductions: Euro 3,00: groups (min.25), Tour leader free; over 65 years; 6-14 years
  • Free Ticket: 0-5 years ; handicapped; holders of the Torino Piemonte Museum Card

In case of snow the Museum might be closed: check the openings by phone Tel. +39 015 25551200


Resta aggiornato
Iscriviti alla newsletter